All Our Adoptable Pets
Golden Paws Pets
Adoption Policies & Prices
Paws to Consider
Ways to Donate and Help
Donate by Shopping
News and Events
Photo & Video Gallery
Programs and Services
Lost and Found Support
Clinic Services & Schedule
Spay / Neuter Information
Visit Our Shelter
Learn About Us
Join our e-Mail List
Why neuter or spay your pet?
Pet overpopulation in Livingston County continues to rise and unfortunately, there is not enough space available to house all of these pets.
Cats and dogs have the unique ability to reproduce several times a year. They can go into heat as early as 5 months
of age - sometimes earlier, and they can have litters several times a year. That is why there is an endless cycle of homeless animals.
Your pet is one of the lucky ones-it has a home!
By neutering or spaying your family pet you can actively help solve the problem of overpopulation. The only way to solve this problem is one pet at a time and, if each of us does our part, we can be successful. It's never too late to spay or neuter your pet!.
Benefits of neutering or spaying your pet:
- Reduces the urge to wander , thus reducing the chance of becoming lost, getting hit by a car, or getting into a fight.
- Reduces indiscriminate urination (spraying or marking their territory)
- Reduces aggression towards other pets and people, thus saving you potential troublesome encounters with neighbors and acquaintances.
- For females-it helps reduces uterine infections and breast cancer , both which jeopardize your pet's life and are expensive to treat-far more than the initial cost to spay your pet.
- For males-it helps reduce prostate and testicular cancers, along with urinary tract problems that may not be reversible. Again, these jeopardize your pet's life and are expensive to treat-far more than the initial cost to neuter your pet.
- Your license fee will be significantly less for a neutered or spayed dog. Your dog license fee in Livingston County is only $7.00 for an altered dog instead of $25 or more for a dog not altered.
What is HSLC's current position on spay/neuter services?
All animals are spayed and neutered before leaving our shelter as part of the medical care included with every adoption. However, due to limited resources, we are currently not able to offer spay/neuter services to the public in our clinic. HSLC has periodically co-sponsored various cost-sharing or discounted spay/neuter programs, as well as organized community education programs to address the topic. We encourage community organizations to work with us to help alleviate this avoidable problem in our county and recommend all pet owners consult with your veterinarian to determine the best option for you and your pet.
We are very excited to offer this LOW COST option to the public for Spay / Neuter services!
Cat spay/neuter $40. Dog spay/neuter $80.
Licensed veterinarians perform all surgeries.
From April through November, All About Animals Rescue will have their state of the art mobile surgery van
at our shelter on Dorr Road on selected dates each month.
They also offer transport service from our shelter to their clinic on selected dates. Your pet will be picked up at our shelter, transported to their clinic for surgery, and then returned to you at our shelter the next day.
Call their clinic to make an appointment 586-879-1745 or check their schedule on their web site>>
If you are looking for more information or financial support, you may find low cost spay/neuter resources available by searching the internet or referring to the following organizations:
| Low Income Spay/Neuter Clinics available to public.
418 S. Highlander Way; Howell, MI 48843
|Humane Society of
|Low Cost Spay/ Neuter Clinics available to public
3100 Cherry Hill Road; Ann Arbor, MI
Shelter: (734) 662-5585 Clinic: 1-888-HSHVFIX
|All About Animals Rescue
||High quality, low cost, full time spay/neuter clinic
23451 Pinewood; Warren, MI 586-435-6930
|Dansville Vet Clinic
||Private veterinary clinic offering low cost spay / neuter
1690 E. Dansville Road; Dansville, MI 48819
||A nationwide network and referral service for affordable spay/neuter services and education.